السبت، 7 يناير 2017

How to love each other (and ourselves) despite our differences

How to love each other (and ourselves) despite our differences

How to love each other (and ourselves) despite our differences

How to love each other (and ourselves) despite our differences






Nathan Clarkson’s mother, Sally, is a popular Christian author and leader with a growing following.
 But growing up, he felt like the opposite of the picture perfect Christian kid. He often acted out in school, rebelled against his parents, and was bullied for being different. He battled depression and anxiety, and was diagnosed with OCD, OCC, ADHD and other learning disabilities. Each condition tried the strength of their relationship and tested the limits of their love.

Nathan is now in his twenties and he has coauthored a book with his mother about their journey titled, “Different: The Story of an Outside-the-Box Kid and the Mom Who Loved Him.” In it, they share how they overcame relational obstacles through seeking to understand each other and seeing his “differences” as superpowers.

I decided to chat with Nathan about what it means to love, accept, and embrace someone despite their sometimes frustrating differences. His words illustrate the holiness of difference are helpful for anyone who’s ever struggled to relate to friends and family that don’t fit the mold you’d wish for them.

RNS: When did you realize that you were “different?” What does this word entail for you?

NC: I wish I could look back to one specific time in my life where I learned that I was different and fully accepted it. But the truth is I am still, even in my 20’s, finding new ways I am “different” from the world around me.

The earliest I can remember is when I would look at all the other kids being able to sit still and listen. I would be moving non-stop, mind constantly changing channels, and unable to not question everything and everyone. When other kids could walk on the sidewalk, I was constantly climbing the rails. When other kids could be good, I was getting in trouble. So it was there–in the classrooms, home, and timeouts–that I began to realize that I work differently than others around me.



ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق

جميع الحقوق محفوظة ل simowelt 2016